I have quite an affinity for three-legged things. Least of which includes three-legged dogs. (Can you believe it, I've met more than a few). One such example would be the lovely three-legged table my husband found in the alley. I know what you're thinking -- gasp -- the alley!? But believe me, once you've lived in the city long enough and get over the risk of bringing bedbugs (no soft goods for me, folks) or general alley debris into your home, you'll find some real gems.
This trusty little three legged table only adds to the charm of the three-legged chair we have. Through some research, I found the chair was part of a dining set reminiscent of modern Scandinavian design similar to works by Hans Wegner. I don't think it's an original but the style is definitely derived from his aesthetic. It's a little banged up but one of these days I'll get around to reupholstering it and painting the legs. Look out for that post soon. But I digress terribly...back to the table. With a hard composite top, "floating" legs on the side and wonderful brass details, I couldn't resist trying to spruce it up.
Découpage is a form of attaching paper to a surface. Historically, this was done on porcelain or paper during printmaking processes. Today, it's been simplified (and dummied down) with the wonderous assistance of the gooey delight we know as Mod Podge. Much like it's cousin, glue, Mod Podge has great qualities of thickness and efficiency but its finishes vary on what you want the results to be: glossy, matte or even sparkle. For the table I chose glossy to highlight the graphic quality of the design I chose, a brown and cream woodcut paper. After cleaning and drying the surface, I spread a thin layer of Mod Podge working quickly (as it dries in no time) and laid the paper down carefully. Immediately I added brushed on another layer over the paper and worked to get air bubbles out. The bubbles are probably the hardest and most aggravating part of this project. I suggest a squeegee to push them out if you have it. Let it dry for at least 30 minutes and add another layer.
Voila! There you have it, a fun and easy way to change a surface. This method would look dashing as a collage on the wall too.
Cheers,
No comments:
Post a Comment